MI-CUIT, CHOCOLATE FONDANT

Chocolate fondantOne of the most amazing chocolate desserts is the MI-CUIT (half baked in french) or Chocolate Fondant as we call it. The soft texture of this dessert and the intense chocolate flavor make it one of the most popular desserts all over the world.

A week ago I visited the Chocolate lab of Julien Dechenaud in Vincennes, a quiet suburb of Paris. Dechenuad opened his boutique 3 years ago after working with the best Chocolatiers in France, Patrick Roger, Jen-Paul Hevin and the chocolate factory for Alain Ducasse.

Chocolate fondant

The small boutique soon become a “must” spot for chocolate lover, and the talented chocolatier had to open a bigger chocolate lab in order to fulfill the huge demand. His chocolate bonbons are amazing, the Praline is divine and his cookies and chocolate desserts are so so good.

Chocolate fondant

One of the best desserts I’ve tasted in Dechenaud’s boutique is the MI-CUIT which is one of his best sellers. I kindly asked for the recipe and the Dechenaud was happy to share it with me.

Chocolate fondant

So say hello to the best Chocolate Fondant you have ever tasted and let me know if you enjoyed it.

Chocolate fondant

MI-CUIT or Chocolate Fondant
4 ring molds 8 cm, Height 5 cm
(or 6 smaller rings)

Ingredients
225 grams butter
200 grams dark chocolate, chopped (70%-80%)
120 grams caster sugar
100 grams flour (T45 is better)
365 grams eggs

Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 190C degrees, brush melted butter all over the inside of the molds, place molds on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
2. In a small pan melt butter and add chocolate, stir till chocolate is melt.
3. In a medium bowl combine sugar and flour, add eggs and whisk together till combined to a smooth batter.
4. Pour chocolate mixture into the batter and whisk together till combined to a smooth chocolate batter.
5. Transfer the batter into a piping bag or a plastic bag, with one of the edges snipped off. Fill the molds to the top.
6. Bake for 8-10 mins until the tops have formed a crust and they are starting to come away from the sides of their molds.
7. Remove from the oven, then leave to sit for 10 minutes .
8. Remove Chocolate fondant from the molds and serve.

Chocolate fondant

Bon-Appetit
Sharon

Comments

• 30 September 2020
    Dawn

I’m so excited to try these! Is the temperature and baking time in the recipe for a convection oven? Do you have a recommended time and temp for a conventional oven?

• 15 October 2020
        Dan

The perpetual question, “Turbo” on or off ?

• 30 September 2020
    Seham

Hi
    How do you weigh eggs with or without shell please?
    Thanks

• 30 September 2020
    Ronnie Torton

If I don’t have the ring molds what would you recommend using in replace ?

• 01 October 2020
    Mohith

It looks fantastic I’m surely gonna try it. Just one concern for me. I don’t know if this is a stupid question but I just started baking so… Since it contains flour and the batter inside the end product is still runny would it be cooked enough to be edible and safe. I understand that this is a very popular product but this question is more for my knowledge.

• 01 October 2020
    Tabinda

Did u freeze them before baking or just bake directly ?

• 05 October 2020
        Tabinda

• 01 October 2020
    Ayesha

This looks fantastic! Thanks for always bringing us the best of Paris..can’t wait to try this recipe 😍 I don’t have ring mold, can I use ramekins instead? Thank you 💕

• 01 October 2020
    Barbara

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for this amazing Blog and we are a great fans of your Instagram,
    Wow this recipe looks just amazing…
    I showed it to my husband and he has already informed me that I’m going to prepare it for the weekend.
    thanks again for your fascinating work and for generously sharing with us all the information.
    looking FRWD to meet you in Paris

• 03 October 2020
    Cecilia

Esto se ve espectacular!!! Intentaré hacerlo lo más pronto posible, gracias por compartir tan deliciosa receta, me encanta!!! Se sirven calientes??

• 04 October 2020
    Jojo

Could you please tell. Is it ok to freeze (Fast-freezer)this dessert and then bake it?

• 04 October 2020
    Myrz

These look so good but I’m a little wary of the amount of egg used in them– this recipe is supposed to make 4 ring molds and requires the equivalent of 6 medium eggs in grams?? Other chocolate fondant recipes I’ve used before only require 1-2 eggs. I was just wondering if there’s been a mistake with the quantities here.

• 05 October 2020
    Idk

Hi , if I want to use L eggs. How many eggs I need?

• 06 October 2020
    Erin

The recipe indicates 6 M eggs but has the weight at 365g. A L egg weighs 50g, and a M egg weighs 45g in Canada) so I’m just wondering do M eggs weigh differently in France? Or could the volume (6 M egg) to weight conversion be off? Just wondering. Can’t wait to make this!

• 10 October 2020
        Erin

My point is 6×45 is only 270
        6×50 is 300
        And the recipe indicates 365g which is actually 8 M eggs. Just wondering if anyone has tried this recipe with varying weights of eggs? Seems there’s a bit of discrepency.

• 06 October 2020
    Daniel H

Tu n’as pas le recette en français? Pour ma mère, elle ne comprend pas bien l’anglais. Je pourrais traduire mais sera plus facile si tu en as déjà

• 07 October 2020
    Sarah

The moment I saw this, I knew I needed to make it myself! I’ve attempted the recipe twice now, and my batter seems thinner than it should be: almost liquid, rather than the thick, pipeable consistency I saw on Instragram. Do you have any tips for bringing the batter to consistency?

• 07 October 2020
        Sarah

I have weighed my ingredients both times, but with no luck in thickening the batter. Might it have something to with the fact I add the butter/chocolate mixture to the eggs fresh off the stove?

• 08 October 2020
            Sarah

Gladly! It’s an absolutely delicious recipe, and I’m so thankful to have access to it! My elevation is also almost 5’000 feet, but now I’m just thinking “out loud” and wondering that may be part of my trouble as well 😆
            Thank you Ms. Sharon!

• 07 October 2020
    Carla

I love your blog, your recipes and your awesome answers!!! ;-))

• 07 October 2020
    Jonathan

Are you supposed to served them after baked or you can baked them then serve them later and still the chocolate melt look the same?

• 07 October 2020
    Inbal

I have been looking forward to this recipe ever since you posted that video, thank you so much for sharing! 💜
    Could you please let us know the approximate size of the molds used here?

• 08 October 2020
    RReili

It is always great to find new posts about new desserts on your Instagram account. Love to follow.

Thanks for the recipe!

I am wondering about the caster sugar!? Not familiar with that. Is that white sugar or brown?
    I have Google translated it and it tells me it’s sauce sugar!? Never heard of this.

• 08 October 2020
        RReili

Thank you! 🙏☀️😊

• 09 October 2020
    Yutika

Can this cake be made eggless? In India, most people prefer eggless.

• 16 October 2020
    Sneha Joshi

Since i don’t have ramekins and need to buy anyway, could you please let me know which ones to get and from where ?

• 17 October 2020
    Melody

Hi there,
    Can you tell me what caster sugar is? 😌

• 22 October 2020
    Daene

hello Sharon! i really hope you’ll answer my questions. I’m not familiar with caster sugar and have been looking for it online. we usually use either white crystal sugar or palm sugar here in Indonesia, which one is closer or is the substitute of caster sugar? and same question for T45 flour.
    thank you in advance!