Chocolate Hazelnut Spread and Brownies Flatbread
Spring in Paris. The trees are full of bright green leaves, the buds that two weeks ago filled the trees have become flowers and the city is spectacular. Spring brought some good news – according to the government plan, France is supposed to open to tourists in mid-June, we hope.
We miss our Culinary Tours so much, our tourists, our “office” which is actually the busiest streets of the most beautiful city in the world. It’s clear that even without the tours we walk around the city, but there is nothing like walking around with excited tourists and revealing to them the secrets of Paris.
We miss the Parisian markets, the stall owners, and especially our friends Tarik and Nabil. Tarik owns a stall of excellent raw materials from all over France. Salted caramel, Dijon mustard, excellent jams, great Fleur-de-Sel and more.
Nabil, originally from Lebanon, brings the wonderful combination of Lebanese Druze food made with French ingredients. He came to France over 40 years ago and a large part of his family remained in the Land of The Cedars. About 20 years ago he opened his stand in the Monge market which has become an important place for all foodies from the district. Nabil was able to make Lebanese food accessible to the French by using local ingredients and most importantly, humanity and a smile that never leaves his face.
As a tribute to Nabil and his cheese Fatayer, I decided to make a pastry that looks similar to Nabil’s, only it consists of dough that is made in two minutes and a filling that is going to make you addicted. Yogurt bread in a pan filled with chocolate hazelnut spread and chunks of brownies!
I make the chocolate hazelnut spread myself, you can also make it according to my recipe, or buy one. I also make the brownies myself and so do you 🙂! The combination of the neutral dough taste with the rich filling makes this pastry wonderful, the chocolate spread heats up and melts and the brownies give a great texture and volume.
130g unsalted butter
150g dark chocolate 70%
130g eggs (around 2 large eggs)
90g all-purpose flour
25g cocoa powder
100g milk/white/dulcey chocolate, chopped
220g Greek yogurt (4%-10%)
280g all-purpose flour
10g baking powder
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (recipe inside)
1. Brownies: Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a 25X20cm pan with parchment paper.
2. Melt butter and dark chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Cool to room temperature.
3. Beat eggs and sugar until light yellow and fluffy.
4. Add melted chocolate to egg mixture and beat until smooth.
5. Add flour and cocoa powder and mix until well combined.
6. Add chocolate chunks and stir together.
7. Pour mixture into the pan, bake for 30 minutes, until a toothpick poked in comes out clean, but not too dry.
8. Flatbread: In a large bowl mix yogurt, flour and baking powder. Knead the dough for a few minutes till it’s smooth and elastic (you can do it with a stand mixer, I do it by hand).
9. Cut the brownies into small pieces, not too thick. It’s recommended not to cut all the brownies because it’s almost certain that you will have brownies left for snacking 🙂
10. Divide the dough into 4 equal balls. Roll each ball into a circle 18-20 cm in diameter.
11. Generously spread Chocolate Hazelnut spread on each circle and sprinkle pieces of brownies on half of the dough. Fold over the dough using the side on which you didn’t sprinkle brownies, to obtain a semicircular shape. Crimp the edges in order to prevent leaking of the filling while baking.
12. Heat a 20-22cm nonstick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Grease skillet with butter, cook flatbread until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. You can also place it on the side, hence cooking the wide part obtained from folding the dough on the filling (see picture).
13. Repeat with the rest of the dough balls, add additional butter to skillet as needed. Eat immediately.