Chocolate Hazelnut Spread Cookie Cake
Chewy chocolate chip cookies or other big cookies with some toppings were not a very common product in France in the past. The more famous cookies in the French patisserie are delicate butter cookies called Sablé, after the city where they were first made, Sablé-sur-Sarthe and also after their sandy texture (in French Sablé = sand). These cookies come in different sizes, usually in a round shape and are very crunchy with a wonderful aroma of butter.
In recent years, foreign influences have entered the realm of French patisserie. Of course the world of social networks, which has turned the entire world into a small village, have pushed for such changes in almost every field. One of the leading fields that has developed is the food industry.
A few years ago, shops began to open in Paris whose whole business is cookies that are very different from the delicate French Sablé. These new creations are moist cookies, large, very soft and rich in various flavors and ingredients that have never entered cookies in France. Even the world’s leading pastry chefs like Cedric Grolet, for example, have put the rich cookies into their Tea-time hours in luxury hotels in the city of lights.
Every cookie lover’s dream is a huge, moist and rich cookie that never ends. So why not make a cookie cake? And if a cookie cake, then you can also fill it with a homemade chocolate hazelnut spread and actually get a large cookie sandwich with a chocolate spread that melts into the cookie dough and makes it a real delicacy.
220g butter, softened
120g light brown sugar
70g Muscovado sugar or brown sugar
120g eggs (around 2 eggs)
270g flour, sifted
5g baking soda powder
Pinch of salt
250g dark chocolate chips, or chopped chocolate (70%-80%)
100g-130g Homemade Chocolate Hazelnuts spread (link inside), or a commercial spread.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C degrees and line a 20X30-cm pan with parchment paper.
2. Cookie Dough: In a medium bowl beat together butter and sugar until soft and creamy. Add eggs and mix.
3. Add the flour, baking soda powder and salt. Mix until soft dough forms. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
4. Divide the dough into two and press the first half into the bottom of the pan to form an even layer.
5. Spread the Chocolate Hazelnut on the dough layer.
6. Cover the chocolate spread layer with the other half of the cookie dough, it’s recommended to cover in small pieces because the dough is very soft and difficult to place as a single unit. You can secorate with a few chocolate drops.
7. Bake for about 25 minutes until the cookie dough is golden, over-baking should be avoided to keep the dough moist.
8. Cool to room temperature, cut into slices and enjoy 🙂