Brownie Ice Cream and Salted Caramel Sandwiches
I recently made the Salted Caramel Brownies that you really liked and since then I’m thinking of more desserts where you can combine these two recipes that together create an excellent harmony of flavors.
Then I came up with an idea! Brownie Ice Cream and Salted Caramel Sandwiches. In this dessert I use an easy recipe for a homemade ice cream, such an easy recipe that it’s unbelievable that ice cream actually comes out of it.
To make it easier to cut the ice cream brownies, I decided to pre-divide the brownies into equal-sized squares, which requires a little more work but makes it easier to cut afterwards. Of course you can leave the layers of brownies uncut and cut it only after freezing.
Salted Caramel Cream (it’s recommended to prepare the day before):
20g glucose syrup (possible, for a softer caramel)
240g heavy whipping cream
40g butter in room temperature, cubed
5g salt, I use Fleur-de-Sel
Brownies (it’s recommended to prepare the day before):
200g dark chocolate (at least 70%cocoa)
20g salted caramel (from the cream you prepared)
180g eggs (around 3 large eggs)
180g light brown sugar (or half light brown, half brown)
80g all-purpose flour
40g cocoa powder
Salted Caramel and Chocolate Chunks Ice Cream:
500g heavy whipping cream
400g condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
50g milk chocolate, chopped
50g white or caramel chocolate, chopped
Salted caramel (to the taste, from the cream you prepared)
1. Salted Caramel: In a medium heavy-duty saucepan heat sugar and glucose (if you chose to add it), until it melts into a brown amber-colored liquid.
2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the cream until simmering.
3. After the sugar turned into caramel, pour the boiling cream into the caramel pot through a sieve. Attention! The caramel bubbles and rises to the top. It is best to remove the pot from the heat source for a few seconds, so that the caramel does not slide. Return to the heat source for a few seconds while stirring until a smooth cream is obtained.
4. Remove from heat, add butter and salt and stir until smooth. For a very smooth caramel cream it’s recommended to grind with a blender rod. Cool to room temperature.
5. Brownies: Preheat the oven to 180C degrees and line a 24-cm square pan with parchment paper.
6. Melt butter and dark chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave. Cool to room temperature. Add 20g salted caramel cream and stir.
7. In a big bowl beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
8. Add melted chocolate to egg mixture and beat until smooth.
9. Add flour and cocoa powder, and mix until well combined.
10. Pour the brownie mixture into the pan. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, until baked but not too dry. Cool to room temperature.
11. Remove from the pan, cut a few mm from the edges so that the brownies are aligned. Cut the brownies into 16 equal-sized squares. Slice each brownie horizontally to make 32 thinner squares that will make up the sandwich.
12. Ice cream: Line the same pan in which you made the brownies with cling film.
13. In a bowl of a stand mixer whip the cream until it holds stiff peaks.
14. Pour the condensed milk into a large bowl, add vanilla and mix. Gently mix a scoop of the whipped cream into the condensed milk, this lightens the condensed milk.
15. Fold the whipped cream into the condensed milk, fold until the cream becomes soft and silky. Pour over the mold lined with cling film.
16. Pour salted caramel cream on the ice cream (2 tbsp of caramel cream should be left aside) and sprinkle with chopped chocolate, use a fork or knife to create a marble look.
17. Place on the ice cream 16 thin brownies squares (the bottom of the brownies). Freeze for at least 5 hours.
18. Remove from the freezer, turn the pan over on a cutting board (now the brownies layer will be at the bottom). Remove the cling film from the ice cream and sprinkle 16 generous dots of salted caramel over the frozen ice cream.
19. Place each square of brownies on a caramel dot so that the top side of the brownies is facing up. Freeze again.
20. Cut according to the brownies squares and enjoy.
View this post on Instagram