Huge Nutella Sandwich Cookie
After making the Parisian chic hamantaschen that became a hit on the net, I decided I needed to make this pastry dough again. Although it’s a simple crunchy pastry dough, the result obtained, if you make it comme il faut, is great and suitable for so many tarts and cookies.
This time we decided to make a mega Nutella-filled sandwich cookie with this wonderful dough. So you’re right, Nutella is not a praliné (and as you know I love praliné), but sometimes Guilty Pleasure is needed. For example, everyone already knows that even though I meet every day with the best pastry chefs in the world and taste wonderful desserts made by them, a Tortit (an Israeli childhood chocolate bar) can make me no less happy. I do not give up small sins, they make me smile.
All you need for this recipe is a pastry dough, a jar of chocolate hazelnut spread, like Nutella for example, and a tart ring in any shape you choose. This time I chose to make a big heart cookie with small hearts inside.
140g cold butter, cubed
250g all-purpose flour
3g baking powder
80g confectioners’ sugar
25g almond meal
Pinch of salt
70g eggs (1 big egg)
Chocolate hazelnut paste (Nutella or homemade)
1. Put all the dough ingredients, except the egg, in a food processor fitted with the metal blade and pulse a few times until you get a sandy texture.
2. Add the egg and pulse a few times, stop before it forms a complete ball, some crumbs are okay. It’s best to work with the dough as little as possible.
3. Turn dough out onto a clean surface and form into a flat rectangle. Cover in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C degrees and line a pan with parchment paper.
5. On a floured surface, roll out dough with a rolling pin. Roll out to 4-5 mm thickness.
6. Using a big heart cookie-cutter/tart ring, cut out 4 big hearts. Using a small heart cookie-cutter cut out the center of 2 of the big hearts.
7. Arrange whole and cut-out cookies on a parchment-lined baking pan. Bake for about 14-16 minutes, until golden. Remove cookies from the oven and let them cool on a cooling rack.
8. Dust confectioners’ sugar over cut-out cookies.
9. Spread chocolate hazelnut paste over bottom of each whole cookie.
10. Place cut-out cookies on the cookies with filling, sugar side up.
11. Keep at room temperature in an airtight container.