Gâteau Nantais, Almonds and Rum Cake
If you love almonds and rum this cake is perfect for you. Gâteau Nantais is a soft round cake originating in the city of Nantes in France.
So easy to make with lovely texture and great taste of semi salted butter, almonds and rum. The Nantais is topped with white rum glaçage and I recommend you eating it a day after it’s made, it will be even better.
20-22-cm round cake pan
125g semi salted butter, very soft
150g fine sugar
125g almond meal
200g eggs (around 3 large eggs)
40g all-purpose flour
60g rum divided into 30g+30g
120g confectioners’ sugar
30g white rum
1. Almond cake: Preheat the oven to 180C degrees and grease pan with butter.
2. Using an electric mixer beat butter, sugar and almond meal.
3. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add flour and 30g rum over butter mixture, stir to combine.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 35-40 minutes, until baked but not too dry.
6. Remove from oven and carefully turn out onto a round serving plate.
7. Pour 30g rum on the hot cake and allow to cool before frosting.
8. Rum Glaçage: Mix confectioner’s sugar and rum till combined. Frost cake with rum glaçage, wait about 2 hours before serving.